Saturday, December 19, 2020

Joy - Advent - Day 21 - Week 3

Daniel 3:16-18

Shadrach, Meshach and Abednego replied to the king, "O Nebuchadnezzar, we do not need to defend ourselves before you in this matter. If we are thrown into the blazing furnace, the God we serve is able to save us from it, and he will rescue us from your hand, O king. But even if he does not, we want you to know, O king, that we will not serve your gods or worship the image of gold you have set up. 

I'll admit this was not where I thought my last day on the topic of joy would take us. But I couldn't get these verses and this phrase out of my head tonight.

"But if not..."

These young men were getting sentenced to death for following God instead of men. They didn't know whether God would save them or not... but they knew that He was able. These three guys in the furnace trusted God, literally, with the end of their lives. They really believed that God could rescue them from the furnace. They knew enough about God to know that what is best for us (including life itself) is not always God's best for us. They knew that no matter what they were going to obey God. It's a powerful story. So what did these three guys say as they face death? "But IF not..."
Most of us aren't facing the possibility of death. However some of us are legit walking through that valley of death with ourselves or someone we love.
Do we trust Him? Do we still trust Him if things aren't going the way we want?
God I still trust you even if this court case doesn't go my way. I still trust you if the person I love the most in this world is taken away from me. I still trust you if I get sick... if my loved one gets sick.

I know that you can bring about miracles. You can take death itself away. I believe you can do all of this . . . but if not . . . I trust You even still. What I've learned: God may act exactly as I hope in this situation... but if not... I know He is still holding me. The important thing is to not turn away from God when He doesn't follow your calendar and plan. It is my challenge for all of you whose answer is just days away... but it is not the answer you were looking for in this season. It is also my challenge for those of you whose answer is many waiting days away.

Father,
Help us to find our joy and peace in you regardless of our circumstances. Help us to trust that You are still here even in the darkest of valley's. Help us to feel with certainty that you are here with us even if we are IN the furnace/fire right now.
Amen

-Gina

0 comments: