Saturday, September 15, 2007

Football and Fasting

Well I don’t know what it is about football that makes me get all poetic and thoughtful but here I am.
You see about an hour ago I was literally shaking and pacing the floor. My Hogs were up… all was good but could go badly quick. Then whammo - a last minute score.
Thinks change… just like that.
So here I am sitting with my laptop praying, thinking.
This week my church has had a little over 1300 people participating in a corporate Fast. This is my second time through this. Last time was so amazing in what God showed me I thought nothing could compare.
I was wrong.
I am guilty of forgetting just how big and sovereign God really is. My verse this week, not the one I would have chosen, but what God led me to is Isaiah 6:1-4
1 In the year that King Uzziah died, I saw the Lord seated on a throne, high and exalted, and the train of his robe filled the temple. 2 Above him were seraphs, each with six wings: With two wings they covered their faces, with two they covered their feet, and with two they were flying. 3 And they were calling to one another:
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."
4 At the sound of their voices the doorposts and thresholds shook and the temple was filled with smoke.
The first time I saw this during this week was Tuesday. I was given it to read at a praise and worship service. I realy didn’t note it. Then Thursday at another service I got it to read again. As I read it to myself and waited for the service to begin, God began to speak. I had no idea what I needed to hear. But I knew it was in these verses.
Holy, holy, holy is the LORD almighty.
I went home and grabbed my commentary on Isaiah (just like God… I’m taking OBST 633 which is - ISAIAH!). On these verses the commentary speaks of the position of God.
God… is BIG.  God… is HUGE. We know this right?
So why do I continually try to use my human ideas to manipulate His planning?
The line that stuck with me is one of the things I thought of tonight.
“As long as I think that I an solve my problems (with a litle help from God of course) then I am the sovereign, and He is the servant.
Those of you who know me well, and you know who you are, have been witness to some spectacular ME moments. I’m good at directing my life, so I think. Really it’s laughable.
I know that I would choose things differently at this season in many ways. And I know that I would miss some incredible things.
So for the record (sorry mom) my hands are off. God will do, what He will do. He is sovereign. I still don’t know what tomorrow brings. But it is a lot easier to face, when I know that I don’t have to try to control or fix it.
Whew! God is good.
"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty;
the whole earth is full of his glory."

0 comments: