Saturday, August 18, 2018

To The Little Boy, With a Big Piece of My Heart

Sweet Boy,

Goodness you have rocked our world. We thought we were prepared. We always think we know what we are saying "yes" to at that phone call. We never do. Each set of little feet, with their suitcase or garbage bag packed with their lives, comes with baggage that you cannot see as well.
And this week, it almost broke me.   Because I cannot stand the thought sometimes, of what your life will be like somewhere else.

With my brain, I want you to be with parents that are healthy and whole. I root for you parents enthusiastically! It's something that is a paradox for sure. Because I also would love those parents to be us. But I hope that they can pull this out... that they can do the gut-wrenching work that is ahead of them. My heart falters sometimes but longs to see you happy in the path that God has for you.

Precious little man. Holding your hand is a doorway to a life that I have dreamed of for so many years. I truly love you with every bit of me.
My prayer for you tonight is the same as every night for the past few months.
God protect his heart.
God raise him up to follow you.
God help him heal. Help him feel safe, even when the world changes.
When I can no longer hold that hand, or softly stroke your hair, or whisper words of comfort; somehow, I pray that you will remember in your heart that we gave you everything we had.

Dear sweet boy we will love you forever.

-Mommy Gina


1 comments:

Unknown said...

Last night I spent an hour talking with Jasin, who will always be my daughter. She lived with me just a year over her 14th birthday. She is now 22, with a beautiful daughter of her own. We lose touch for months at a time through her often upside down life. She called me when she was 16, from a shelter in Texas, needing a home I was unable to provide. She forgave me. We always get back in touch. I remember her shock that I baked her a birthday cake of her choice (pineapple upsidedown cake) and cupcakes for a party at the skating rink. I was with her on her 1st roller coaster ride (only my 5th) the moments after as we hugged and yelled and shared how much we loved it. So I can tell you, you are making a huge difference, they will always remember you, and it really is worth the heartbreak when they go back home.